Tuesday, July 17, 2007

With great reverence for Elizabeth Bishop

He was so tall and sleek and black
like oil and velvet combined
and my cousin almost ran into him before I grabbed him
(Scotty, not the Moose)
and backed away, my eyes, swollen with equal parts awe, love, and terror
but he wasn't going to charge
used to the hustle and bustle of campers and family reunions
and his horns, soft, and full of blood,
growing
but still I pulled Scotty back slowly, giving the moose respect
and at least 30 feet before worshiping him
with at least 80 fuzzy shots
because I durst not use my flash
and make him walk away.
But he didn't , in fact, he regarded me a moment
before laying down placidly by a hobbit-like den
and munching on cool grasses
to get out of the heat of the summer
and the Family reunion.

No comments:

© Kipluck aka: BethAnn Mayberry All work is the exclusive property of the blog author, Kipluck, under her legal name unless otherwise noted. If you want to use it for something, chances are I will say yes if you ASK. If you don't ask, I will sue your pants off. For the record, my best friend StephAnn has the right to play with any and all of my poetry she wants. We are partners in crime.