Thursday, January 25, 2007

Red Lion Lost at Brigham Young University (The World Is Our Campus)

[To anyone who is lost here in America. I hope you find yourself here.]

Red Lion Lost at Brigham Young University (The World Is Our Campus)


Walking between classes at BYU,
I found a yellow cloth flag,
the size of the sort of envelope a friend
sends to wish you Happy Birthday
or thank you for coming to her baby shower
and it lay on the ground, forgotten,
floundering in the wind,
a trout just caught.
The red dragon-like lion reached his
arms for me, trying to look fierce,
but I saw him as alone and afraid
in a place he did not know, among flags
with only stripes and stars to talk to.
So I picked up the flag and tried to
remember what country he was from,
but I couldn't.
So I named him my own, and thought that I
would not want to be rained and walked on
if I were lost on a foreign sidewalk.

No comments:

© Kipluck aka: BethAnn Mayberry All work is the exclusive property of the blog author, Kipluck, under her legal name unless otherwise noted. If you want to use it for something, chances are I will say yes if you ASK. If you don't ask, I will sue your pants off. For the record, my best friend StephAnn has the right to play with any and all of my poetry she wants. We are partners in crime.